Archer Title of Texas came together by building on the successes of Archer County Abstract Company and Clay County Title. Read about the history of our organization:
The Archer County Abstract Company, in Archer City, stayed in the same family for 81 years, beginning with W. E. Forgy in 1899 and continuing into 1980 through his daughter, son-in-law, grandson, and great-grandson.
Forgy was president and manager of Archer County Abstract Company for more than 30 years, in addition to serving as president of the Texas Land Title Association in 1916. He continued working up until the day he died in 1931. Forgy’s obituary in the local newspaper lauded him as the “father of Archer County” and “the richest man in the county with the most friends of anyone in the county.”
Forgy’s daughter, Marie, came to work for Archer County Abstract in 1919 following her graduation from Oklahoma University, in order to help her father with typing duties. In 1922 she married E. H. Trigg, and her husband became a partner in the company.
The couple worked for Archer County Abstract for over 50 years: Mrs. Trigg as a poster, abstractor, and typist; Mr. Trigg as a poster and abstracter. Mrs. Trigg passed away in 1974, and her husband passed away 4 months later in 1975.
The Trigg’s son, Edward H., Jr., joined Archer County Abstract in 1950 after his graduation from the University of Texas. He was responsible for bringing title insurance to Archer County Abstract in 1952, when the company became an agent for Lawyers Title Insurance Corporation. The major portion of Trigg’s work was in abstracting, although he also served the growing demand for title insurance.
The fourth generation of the Forgy-Trigg family to join Archer County was Edward H. (Eddie) Trigg, III, escrow officer and partner in the company. He joined Archer County in 1974 after graduating from Texas Tech University. Trigg was primarily involved with servicing the title insurance needs of the 8,000 residents of Archer County and the 2,000 residents of Archer City, where the primary industries are oil, ranching, and dairy farming.
In 1988 Archer Title was purchased by Judy McMurtry McLemore, a native of Archer County with family ties there dating back to the 1800’s. Judy owned and operated Archer Title until 2004, when it was purchased by American National Bank and renamed Archer Title of Texas, Inc.
In 2005 Archer Title of Texas moved its office to Wichita Falls, where we remain today. In addition to providing closing services and issuing title policies for property in Archer County, Archer Title of Texas expanded their services to Wichita County in 2005 and Clay County in 2006.
Beginning in 1885, Clay County Title operated as the oldest continuing business in Clay County and leading independent title and settlement company. Archer Title of Texas purchased the records and books of Clay County Title in 2011, becoming the only title company to operate with sovereign title plants in Archer, Clay and Wichita counties.